Legend of the Green Dragon
Go Back   LotGD.net Forum > Gameplay > Village Square
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2004, 09:39 PM

icis
Send a message via AIM to icis Send a message via Yahoo to icis
Default Fighting...roleplaying...what's allowed?

I'm sorry to sound a little on the dumb side here, but we've been told that we're not allowed to fight in the gardens. I was wondering...does this just include fights where people end up "killing eachother" or "seriously injuring eachother"? Or does it also include fights over say...significant others or other in-character feelings? I mean, I know that I've had small tussels with characters, but never trying to seriously injure other characters. If that is indeed wrong, please let me know so that I don't get in trouble.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:33 AM
Administrator
Cashew

JCP has disabled reputation

Only on Central:

The gardens were created for innocent PG-13 flirting, not for combat.

We've overlooked it in the past, but recently it has gotten WAY out of hand.

So, we're over-reacting and not allowing any combat of any sort - any attempt to harm or otherwise incapacitate anyone is not allowed.

Is this fair? Of course not. Is anyone happy with this? No.

A few bad apples have ruined it for everyone.

I hope to relax this extreme sanction in the future, but for now we need to all get along.

I'm soliciting any ideas on how to make combat acceptable in the meantime.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:39 PM

Nightwind
Send a message via ICQ to Nightwind Send a message via AIM to Nightwind Send a message via MSN to Nightwind Send a message via Yahoo to Nightwind

I've started to comment, "the monsters try enough to harm us, need we do it for them". Does that sum it up do you belive JCP?
Old 12-30-2004, 06:16 PM

Arillius

I want to compliment the mods and admins for keeping such close watch on things. I have a 10 year old boy and 6 year old girl who watch me play and can well read over my shoulder so I really do appreciate the attempt at the 'family' atmosphere you try to maintain.
I agree with Nightwind, let the violence stay in the forest battling the monsters and other creatures.
( I suppose if enough players wanted that kind of action a password locked board could be set up but from the sound of it, we're only talking about a few individuals, right?)
Old 12-30-2004, 06:22 PM

BLOODDRAGON is an unknown quantity at this point

yes, normaly the only people ive seen flying around slicing of people limbs is farmers and a few pages, and usualy you dont see that all the time, the garden is mostly full of roleplayers talking (romanticly or not(usualy is))
Old 12-30-2004, 06:39 PM

sativ is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to sativ

i think there is nothing wrong with a little fight, as long as it won't end up in chopping each others heads off...
because of several "misuses" of the roleplaying fights in the gardens the mods, admins and caretakers were forced to react the way they did...
i know you might probably think of the gardens as a boring place now but the coders are planning something... so just wait a little... as far as i'm concerned the new feature will surely please you...
Old 12-30-2004, 08:39 PM

icis
Send a message via AIM to icis Send a message via Yahoo to icis

Well, I understand that completely. Thanks for letting me know. I don't want to get in trouble! It is really nice that the mods and administers keep such an environment. It does make things more enjoyable for everybody.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:27 AM

YurianStonebow is an unknown quantity at this point

Conspiracy theory brewing here: This could be influenced by LoRD or not, but perhaps new players wanted something a little more interactive than attacking a 'sleeping' character, kind of like an online text-based deathmatch. They were probably expecting something of the sort when they log in and play the game for the first few times, assuming that this feature is enabled in the game since most MMOGs (even web-based ones) also have this option in one form or another.

Don't mind me, I'm just leaving my Conspiracy Theory Cauldron (TM) on percolate.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:57 AM

BLOODDRAGON is an unknown quantity at this point

well the thing is i think is slowly things escalate and soon you have peoples blood transforming into magma as acidic juices spew out there eye balls while they experience the pain of a thousand flames because you got some farmy is there who says " I Super God Mage 1000 and im invincible!" and starts blasting everyone and then you get REAL fights breaking out which then in turn leads to profanity (in most cases) and then everyone loses...
Old 12-31-2004, 11:22 AM

Iscariot

Well as long as the format doesn't support a syncronous pvp-system, such things are bound to happen.

Though:
One could make/code a "duelist field" where players could register, and post a challenge to someone who legally could attack them in pvp. (Their stats at the time of the challenge would be recorded and used in the duel) And if the person doesn't accept the challenge within say 2 game days a loss of charm (coward!), and a suitably sarcastic report could end up in the news... (the challenge could probably be posted there as well.) Perhaps one would give the player a limit of people he could "insult" and challenge to a duel pr day/DK/whatever. When the other person show up and accept the challenge a basic pvp happens.. (normal rules) and the results apply to the instigator next time he/she log on. The winner gets a bonus, but the one challenged will not loose any exp if killed, though if the one who wanted the duel loose he'll loose exp as normal. (And probably it should cost gold or gems to register to the dueling fields)

That way players could "force" other players to target them in pvp, and thus settle the score, the player who's challenged will not have any ill effects if he loose apart from death and a bruised ego.